The Federal Government has invited prominent Nigerian journalists, human rights activists and politicians to the ceremony in Abuja on Tuesday 12 June, to confer national honours on late billionaire Moshood Abiola; his running mate Ambassador Baba Gana Kingibe and late prominent lawyer, Gani Fawehinmi.
The journalists and activists invited all played salutary roles in the fight to validate the June 12, 1993 election, annulled by the Babangida junta.
Those invited include Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, Mr. Femi Falana, SAN, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Chief Bisi Akande, Ms. Ayo Obe.
Others are Bayo Onanuga, Kunle Ajibade, who represent TheNews and TEMPO, Nosa Igiebor of Tell Magazine.
Mr Kayode Komolafe and Senator Janathan Zwingina who worked on the Abiola campaign were also invited, along with Comrade Frank Ovie Kokori, who was the leader of the oil workers union, NUPENG.
Prof. Humphrey Nwosu, the chairman of the National Electoral Commission, stopped by the junta from announcing all the collated results, is also on government’s guest list.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday corrected the injustice of the annulment by announcing the highest honour of GCFR for Abiola, who won the election.
He also said that with effect from 2019, June 12 will become Nigeria’s Democracy Day, as against May 29, which marked the transfer of power from the military to the civilians.
Read rest of the statement below.
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HONOURS JUNE 12 PRO-DEMOCRACY HEROES
Following the historic designation of June 12 as DEMOCRACY DAY and NATIONAL HOLIDAY, Muhammadu Buhari, President, Federal Republic of Nigeria, will confer PostHumous national honours on Chief M.K.O. Abiola as Grand Commander of the Federal Republic (GCFR), Chief Gani Fawehinmi as the Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON). He will also decorate Ambassador Babagana Kingibe with the Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON), at an investiture scheduled to take place as follows:-
DATE: Tuesday, June 12 2018
VENUE: Conference Hall, State House, Aso Rock Villa, Abuja
TIME: 10.00 am
2. Accordingly, Ambassador Babagana Kingibe , the family of the late Bashorun M.K.O. Abiola and that of Chief Gani Fawehinmi , along with the underlisted key players of June 12 struggle are cordially invited:
· Members of the National Executive Committee of the SDP including States Chairmen and Secretaries at the time of June 12, 1993
· Governors elected under SDP platform
· Former Senate Presidents – Iyorchia Ayu and Ameh Ebute and Speaker Agunwa Anekwe along with Principal Officers of the National Assembly elected under SDP platform
· Speakers of the States Assembly elected under SDP platform
· All Chairmen of the States Traditional Councils from the six South-Western States
3. Also invited are Senate President, Bukola Saraki, Speaker Yakubu Dogora, Principal Officers of the National Assembly, Members of the Federal Executive Council and all State Governors.
4. Accommodation has been reserved for all invitees at the NICON Luxury Hotel, Tafawa Balewa Way, area 11, Garki, Abuja from Monday, 11th June 2018. For further inquiries please contact William Alo, Permanent Secretary, Special Duties Office, Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation by telephone on +234 803 585 4332.
5. Invitation letters have been despatched. However, should the invitation arrive late, this publication serves as a formal invitation.
Secretary to the Government of the Federation