Florentino Perez, Real Madrid president said there has been no interest yet from any club in star player Cristiano Ronaldo, who has threatened to leave Spain after running into problems with tax authorities.
“No one has sent us an offer for either Cristiano or anyone else,” Perez told Onda Cero radio station.
“Ronaldo is a lot more powerful and more important than all of us who are here,” he added.
Perez’s first task after being reelected unopposed as Real Madrid president on Monday will be to appease Ronaldo amid speculation the four-time world player of the year wants to leave.
It was Perez who bought Ronaldo in 2009 from Manchester United for a record 94 million euros ($105.3 million).
The frenzy of speculation began soon after Ronaldo was accused last week of a 14.7 million euro tax evasion through offshore companies.
The Portuguese international is currently in Russia competing for the European champions in the Confederations Cup.
And according to Spanish sports daily Marca, Ronaldo has told his teammates: “I’m leaving Real. I have made a decision. There is no turning back.”
Portuguese sports daily A Bola also claimed that Perez had already been informed of the 32-year-old’s decision.
There has been speculation that Ronaldo is trying to put pressure on Real so that they will bear some of the burden of an eventual fine as Barcelona did for Lionel Messi.
Among the clubs reported to be interested in Ronaldo is former team Manchester United for a fee which could hit 200 million euros, with a possible get-out clause of one billion euros.
Since extending his contract in November until 2021, Ronaldo is according to Forbes the highest paid sports star in the world with $93 million (83m euro) in 2016-2017.
Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea are also reported to be interested but Bayern Munich president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge denied the German champions would make an offer.
“We are accustomed to intensive speculation on possible arrivals and departures during the transfer period,” wrote Rummenigge in the statement.
“As a rule, we do not comment on these rumours. But now in the case of Cristiano Ronaldo, we want to clarify once and for all that this rumour has no basis and must be referred to in the realm of fables.”